I came across yet another damned book meme over at Robbo’s, and I thought that adapting it for anime might be a pleasant way of spending a lunch hour.
• What anime are you watching now?
The only current series I’m following is Macademi Wasshoi, and if there are more episodes like the fifth, I’ll drop it, too.
• What is your favourite time to watch?
Evenings, after dinner.
• And your favourite place?
The only available place is the uncomfortable chair at the computer.
• Who is your favourite auteur?
The snap answer is either Yoshitoshi ABe (Haibane Renmei) or Mitsuo Iso (Denno Coil). However, each has really only one show to his credit. ((Lain was a group effort, and while NieA_7 is based on characters created by ABe, someone else wrote the scripts.)) Perhaps Junichi Sato or Akitaro Daichi, or maybe Masaaki Yuasa? I think I’ll go with Satoshi Kon for now.
• Your favourite OST?
Still Haibane Renmei‘s, though that of Oh! Edo Rocket, swing ripoff though it is, has been frequent listening for over a year now.
• What is the most difficult anime you’ve ever watched?
Serial Experiments Lain. I could also mention Angel’s Egg and Cat Soup, but I don’t think either adds up to much more than what you see. (I read somewhere that Oshii himself doesn’t remember what everything signifies in the former.) ((Incidentally, Angel’s Egg is the reason I started downloading torrents. I had read about it and was very curious, but there was no legal way to watch it.))
• What was the first anime you remember watching?
Shonen Sarutobi Sasuke, in the theatre in Brigham City, Utah, on a Saturday afternoon with my girlfriend Gloria a long, long time ago. Many years later came Princess Mononoke.
Update: Here’s a trailer for Magic Boy, as Shonen Sarutobi Sasuke was called in the USA, and here’s a website with screen captures.
• Do you have a comfort show that you re-watch?
Random episodes of Cardcaptor Sakura or Animal Yokocho.
• What is the most erotic anime you’ve watched?
Not Divergence Eve. Nothing much comes to mind; that’s not what I look for.
• Which classic should you have watched?
Monster, I suppose, or Legend of Galactic Heroes.
• Which series did you never want to end?
A good episodic series like Mushishi or Galaxy Angel A could be spun out indefinitely as long as the creators have ideas, but in general, a show isn’t good unless it ends well.
• What is your most overrated anime?
Neon Genesis Evangelion. I watched the first disc, and that’s two hours of my life wasted that I’ll never get back.
• Which character could you have an affair with?
This isn’t the sort of thing I fantasize about lest I end up like Sidney Kugelmass, but perhaps Lexshue from Crest of the Stars.
• Who is your favourite character?
Isako, from Denno Coil.
• Which character do you most dislike?
Kimura, from Azumanga Daioh.
• Which character do you identify with most?
Reki, from Haibane Renmei.
• Which anime changed your life?